Because I’m restricting carbs this month, I wanted to make a pizza Friday night that didn’t use any grains. I’m sure there are some great almond flour recipes out there, but I didn’t have time to search for them.
Instead, I adapted my zucchini crust pizza slightly by using almond four in place of the rice flour, but the bulk of the crust is made of zucchini and eggs. It really makes a great pizza.
Gluten-free son had been away all week and came home Friday night hungry. When he tried a piece of this cold, he loved it! I’ll be making a lot more of it, I’m sure.
The tricky thing about this recipe is the moisture in the zucchini. Pressing it with a paper towel will help, and it’s important to let the pizza sit for a while after it comes out of the oven. When it’s hot, it will fall apart. Even after it sits, you will probably want to eat it with a fork.
Other than that, it tastes great and gives you that pizza flavor and experience so that you won’t feel like you’re missing out on a favorite food.
Some of you are wondering about a dairy free version. I used cheddar style goat cheese in the crust and on top. I do not know how Daiya will work. You’ll just have to experiment and let us know. If you eat regular cheese, you could use mozzarella or any kind you like.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pizza sauce
- shredded cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Grease a round pizza stone or pan.
- Squeeze the shredded zucchini with a paper towel to remove some moisture.
- Combine all the zucchini, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, eggs, almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Spread the zucchini onto the prepared pizza stone or pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. The oven will be steamy, be careful when you open it.
- Remove the pizza and reduce the heat to 375°.
- Top the zucchini crust with pizza sauce, cheese and toppings of choice.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes more.
- Let the pizza sit for 15 minutes before cutting.