This time of year I’m making a lot of zucchini dishes. Zucchini is one of our favorite vegetables and I have grown it in my garden for the past several years.
Basil, which is also in season goes wonderfully with zucchini. I used it in this recipe, but much of the flavor in this dish comes from sausage. We really enjoy the combination and I hope you do too.
- 1 pound bulk sausage (check the label)
- 4 medium-small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons sausage grease or high heat oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet cook and crumble the sausage until done.
- Drain, reserving the fat.
- Set the sausage aside.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the fat or other oil back to the skillet. Add the chopped onion and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add another tablespoon of grease or oil if needed, and the zucchini slices and basil. Mix with the onions and garlic and cook on medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for several minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Stir in the sausage.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Recipe from www.glutenfreehomemaker.com