A friend of mine who has been gluten-free for less than a year recently told me she made a terrific lasagna. It motivated me to make one myself. I think this is only the second time I have made gluten-free lasagna. The first time was a couple of years ago and it was a traditional lasagna. It was good, but lasagna is a lot of work, and I just never did it again. This time I decided to try a vegetable lasagna. I looked at different recipes and chose the parts I liked.
You could vary the vegetables and shred or chop as you wish. For example, if you have kids who aren’t fans of zucchini you might want to shred it rather than chop it.
This lasagna was delicious! I served it as a meatless main dish. It was actually a busy evening when we had an early dinner and I didn’t serve anything else with it. The kids all wanted seconds and were filled up and happy. I hope you enjoy it too.
Go straight to the printable recipe.
Prepare the vegetables.
- 1 package gluten-free lasagna noodles (I used Tinkyada)
- 3 large carrots, shredded (about 2 c.)
- 3 small zucchini, chopped (about 2 c.)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 3/4 c.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon dried Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella (about 2 c.)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (24 oz.) pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions, but undercook them a little bit. Drain and rinse the noodles in cold water. Set aside.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a large skillet with a little oil (2 Tb.). Remove them to a bowl,
- Add more oil if needed, and sauté the carrots, zucchini, onion, and garlic until just tender. Add the mushrooms to the veggies, sprinkle with the salt, and gently mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, and basil.
- Spread 3/4 cup of the pasta sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place four lasagna noodles on top of the sauce.
- Put half the vegetables on the noodles.
- Dot with half the ricotta cheese mixture.
- Spread half the remaining pasta sauce over top and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers: noodles, vegetables, ricotta cheese, sauce, mozzarella cheese. Add the additional 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees 35 – 45 minutes until hot and bubbly. Let rest 10 – 15 minutes before serving.
Courses Main Dish