This week’s dinner idea is courtesy of my youngest son (12). He made this recently when he was staying with my parents and couldn’t wait to try it again at our house. It’s a variation on what my mom always called potato cakes, but since this is put together in one casserole dish, my son has chosen to call it chicken potato pie. It’s a stovetop dish, however, that only uses the broiler to melt the cheese.
Because I never have enough leftover mashed potatoes to feed us all for a second meal, I made a pot of potatoes for him. (You simply would not believe how many mashed potatoes my 18 year old son can eat.) I did have plenty of leftover chicken to use though. This isn’t an actual recipe, more like guidelines really. It’s hard to go wrong.
Chicken Potato Pie
- mashed potatoes
- cooked chicken, cut in bite size pieces
- eggs (about 1 per serving)
- salt & pepper
- garlic powder
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, egg, salt, pepper, and garlic. Stir in the chicken.
- Add to a large skillet and cook, turning and mixing sections at a time until hot through.
- Place in a casserole dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place the dish under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
Courses Main Dish
What Can I Eat That’s Gluten Free blog Carnival: