I recently received a package in the mail that really excited me. It contained Udi’s new gluten-free tortillas. As soon as I saw them, I knew they would be good. In fact, I double checked the package to be sure they were gluten free. They looked too good to be true. But they are true. And they are good. And they are soft. Honestly, they’re amazing!
These tortillas do have to be heated properly in order to be soft and pliable. I used the microwave method, placing a tortilla between layers of a damp towel. It’s important to have your filling ingredients ready to go before you heat the tortilla.
Once the tortilla starts cooling, it is more likely to break. However, once it is folded, it doesn’t break after it cools. To give you an idea how soft and flexible these tortillas can be, here is one of the small tortillas wrapped tightly around a hot dog.
And here’s a large tortilla used to make a beef and bean burrito. Gluten-free son and I thoroughly enjoyed our burritos. They stayed wrapped and held together well while eating. These tortillas are ruining my low carb diet!
If you miss flour tortillas, you definitely want to keep an eye out for these. If for some reason, you’re not sure what to do with them, here’s a recipe from Udi’s.
- 1 Udi’s Gluten Free Flour Tortilla, Large
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup shredded cheese, preferably cheddar or Mexican blend.
- Optional Extras:
- ½ cup diced chicken
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon sliced olives
- 1 Tablespoon diced mushrooms
- Brush skillet with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and heat to medium-high.
- Place Udi’s large tortilla in pan. Layer with a thin layer of cheese, leaving about 1/2 inch around edges.
- Personalize quesadilla with thin layer of optional ingredients, if desired.
- Fold quesadilla in half and let it cook in the pan 1-2 minutes until slightly brown underneath before turning to brown the topside.
- Slide onto plate and enjoy!
The Giveaway: Three winners will receive a coupon for one free Udi’s gluten-free product. The coupons are good through May.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- One entry per person
- Enter by leaving one comment on this post.
- The giveaway begins February 21, 2013 and ends on February 27, 2013 at 11:00 pm eastern time .
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winners will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 24 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
Disclaimer: I was provided with free product to sample, but was not paid to write this review. The opinions in this post are my own.