This grain-free sun dried tomato and olive bread recipe is from my friend Danielle who is on the specific carbohydrate diet. The tomatoes and olives make this a savory bread, not a sweet bread. It is soft and moist and doesn’t require multiple flours or xanthan gum.
I’m really not fond of olives, but I don’t hate them. I found that I did enjoy them in this recipe, but I think you could also omit them if you particularly dislike them.
A guest post from Danielle McKinney
This savory bread is much less dense than many grain-free bread recipes you’ll find. It rises well and has a wonderful taste. It’s especially delicious toasted and spread with goat cheese!
For best results, use a smaller loaf pan. I typically use a 3.5 x 7.5 inch pan. If you don’t have that size, you can make into muffins or double the recipe for a larger sized loaf pan.
- ½ cup almond butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 / 3 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 / 3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray loaf pan and dust with almond flour. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix almond butter, applesauce, and olive oil until smooth. Add eggs and honey; mix until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, garlic powder, and thyme.
- Add flour mixture to liquid ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in chopped olives and tomatoes.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake until bread is light brown and a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Don’t fill loaf pan more than halfway.
- Alternatively, you can make the batter into muffins. Prepare 12 muffin cups and fill only halfway; bake 16-18 minutes.
Danielle is married to Ryan and is the happy mom of baby Rory and a turtle named Grimace. She has been successfully following the specific carbohydrate diet since 2011 to treat Crohn’s Disease and loves to cook and bake items that are delicious and healthy!