It’s day seven of the 10 Days of Gluten Free blog hop! I am covering topics related to getting started on the gluten free diet. Be sure to visit the other participating blogs listed at the end of this post. Each one is covering a different gluten-free topic and has a great giveaway you can enter.
Take Time to Adjust
Getting started with the gluten-free diet can be overwhelming. It’s like learning a new language. You need to give yourself time to adjust—time to learn. You may also need to give your body time to heal.
Start with Naturally Gluten-Free Foods
Don’t immediately try to replace foods. Starting out with naturally gluten-free foods such as fruit, vegetables, plain meats, rice, and legumes will be healthier and easier.
Plan your meals for the first couple of weeks based on naturally gluten-free foods. Then you can focus on learning the ropes without being concerned about what you are going to eat.
A few meal ideas include:
- meat and potato meals
- beans and rice
Take a Break from Baked Foods
There are a couple of reasons for taking a break from breads, crackers, cookies, and other baked foods as well as pasta. First, your body likely can use the break. Those foods are not usually the healthiest and your body likely needs to heal right now.
The other reason is that gluten-free substitutes have a different taste and texture. They can still be good, but it is easier if the comparison is not so fresh. Let your taste buds take a break.
Give yourself time. You will figure things out. Don’t be overwhelmed. There is plenty of help available for you.
Shelley Case is giving away a copy of her book Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide. The title is an appropriate description. This book would be useful to anyone on a gluten-free diet.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. residents 18 and older.
- You are allowed one entry per “10 Days of Gluten Free” blog post for a total of 10 entries on this blog.
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post (and other 10 Days of GF posts)
- The giveaway begins May 7, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm eastern time on May 18, 2012.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winner will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
10 Days of Gluten Free Continues:
These bloggers have great tips and ideas to share with you. Please stop by and remember to enter the giveaways.
- Resources – Wendy @ Celiacs in the House
- Traveling – Karen @ Gluten-Free Travel Blog
- Eating Out – Heather @ Gluten-Free Cat
- Frugal Tips – Janelle @ Gluten Freely Frugal
- Cooking – Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl
- Baking – Jules @ Jules Gluten Free
- Kids – Lynn @ Lynn’s Recipe Adventures
- Lunch Boxes – Tessa @ Tessa the Domestic Diva
- Shopping – Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry