Sweet potato casserole has always been one of my favorite dishes at Thanksgiving dinner. The recipe I loved for years was topped with marshmallows, and while the kid in me still loves that, I also like trying other versions of sweet potato casserole.
This one is topped with finely ground Crunchmaster® crackers mixed with brown sugar and butter. The butter in the topping is the only dairy called for in this recipe, and I’m sure it could be substituted without any problems to make it dairy free.
The Crunchmaster® recipe calls for one teaspoon of dark brown sugar with the sweet potatoes and 1/3 cup with the topping. I would personally try substituting coconut sugar, and I think it would work beautifully.
So here’s another great gluten-free Thanksgiving recipe to add to your menu!
- 2.5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely ground Crunchmaster® Multigrain Crackers
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes. In a large stock pot boil potatoes until tender, drain. Return potatoes to stock pot. Mash until smooth.
- Add eggs, 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Spray a 2 quart oval baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add potato mixture to dish and spread evenly. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine Crunchmaster® Multigrain Cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1/3 cup dark brown sugar. Mix well. Top potato casserole with cracker mixture. Spread mixture evenly covering the entire top of the casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil carefully and bake for 10 more minutes.