Yield 10-12 shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 400° F (static) or 375° F (convection).
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut shortening into dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or two butter knives.
- Add stirred, cracked eggs and yogurt and stir well with a fork until combined, forming a smooth dough that is not dry or sticky. (The dough may also be made using a large food processor or stand mixer with flat paddle but do not over-work the dough).
- Pat dough out onto a surface dusted with gfJules™ All Purpose Flour to a thickness of about 1 1/2 inches. Cut straight down into circles with a biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass without twisting. Note: the sharper the cutter, the higher the rise in the shortcakes, as the edges will not be compressed, and thus can rise in layers. Gather any dough not already cut and press together to re-cut until all dough is used. Place shortcakes onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and lay a small pat of butter or non-dairy substitute on each top (optional) then sprinkle with the pre-made cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or just until the tops are lightly browned. Do not overbake!
- Serve topped with fresh berries, ice cream, whipped cream and/or yogurt.
If topping with fresh strawberries, it’s best to wash, cap, chop the berries, sprinkle with some sugar to taste, then set aside to allow the lovely juices to form a syrup that can be drizzled onto the shortcakes when served with the berries. A heavenly combination!
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/strawberry-shortcake/