The following is a guest post from Sandi of Sandi’s Allergy Free Recipes. You can read more about her below the recipe.
The leaves are out, the birds are singing, and all the plants are in full bloom. Don’t you love being able to look out at all the wonderful colors, smells, and tastes of summer? Two of those flavors are strawberries and rhubarb. Isn’t it great to be able to go into your back yard or at least go to your local farmer’s market to get them?! I really enjoy strawberries and rhubarb being paired together. Each of them on their own is great, but to put them together is fabulous. One way to have them together is in these strawberry rhubarb pancakes. I hope you enjoy this pairing as much as I do.
Strawberry Rhubarb Pancakes
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour (or 1/4 cup additional flour mix)
- 1/3 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (or desired milk)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil, divided (or desired mild oil)
- 1/2 cup finely diced fresh rhubarb
- 1/2 cup finely diced fresh strawberries
- In a medium size bowl, mix the lemon juice and desired milk together and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, flax, xanthan gum, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Add 2 Tablespoons coconut oil to your milk mixture. Add in dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in fruit.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Ladle approximately 3 Tablespoons of pancake batter onto hot skillet, flattening batter slightly. (Yes the batter is thick.)
- Cook approximately 3 minutes on first side, then carefully flip pancake over cooking another two minutes.
Gluten-Free Flour Mix:4 cups brown rice flour1 1/2 cups potato starch1 cup tapioca starchMix together and keep covered in a cool dry place.
Sandi Heeringa is a married, mother of two and grandmother of four, who has been struggling with environmental allergies her entire life. She was finally diagnosed with food allergies and tolerances in 2010. Sandi creates recipes to help herself and other’s. Check her out at Sandi’s Allergy Free Recipes.