Beans are not a favorite in my family, especially lentils. However, this is a recipe we all like. Perhaps it’s the bacon, and that we usually add shredded cheese on top. This bean soup makes a tasty inexpensive meal. My instructions are for cooking it in a crock pot, but it could be cooked on the stove.
Spicy Western Beans
- 1/3 cup lentils
- 4 strips bacon, fried and diced
- 1 onion, chopped and cooked
- 1 clove garlic, briefly cooked with the onion
- 1 can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 can pinto beans with liquid
- 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Boil the lentils in 1 1/3 cups water for 20-30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
My kids usually don’t like lentils, but I put them in anyway. However, I could only find red lentils at the store. I had never used that variety, so I boiled them as usual. I was left with nothing but mush. I strained it and stirred it into the soup, and the kids never knew they were there!