If you’re paleo, grain free, or simply want to watch your carb intake, these paleo spice cookies are a really delicious alternative to other gluten-free cookies. In fact, even if you don’t care about carbs or grains, these cookies are worth a try.
I love the moist, chewy texture I get from almond flour cookies, and the flavor in these cookies is delightful! They taste a lot like molasses cookies, even though I used maple syrup instead of molasses. You could, however, try using molasses or honey in place of the syrup.
I also used coconut sugar, which has a molasses type flavor to it. I like coconut sugar (also known as coconut palm sugar) because it is low glycemic. You could substitute brown sugar if you want.
If you’re looking for more cookie and dessert recipes for this holiday season, take a look as my Cookies, Bars & Candy Recipe Index. You’ll find a variety there, including grain-free recipes.
Spice Cookies (Paleo)
Yield 20 cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat together the shortening and coconut sugar. Add the egg, syrup, and vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Add to the mixer bowl and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon dipped in cold water to flatten and smooth out the cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.