Spar for the what? The spurtle—a stick used to stir porridge. But that’s not all contestants will be sparring for. How about a trip to Scotland?
The Bob’s Red Mill Spar for the Spurtle Contest is an effort to find a creative original recipe that uses their steel cut oats (regular or gluten free).
Three finalists will receive a prize package and be flown to Portland, Oregon, for a live cookoff. The winner will receive the grand prize which includes a trip for two to Scotland representing Bob’s Red Mill in the Golden Spurtle World Porridge Making Championships as well as a $2,500 cash!
Please be sure to read all the details, but here are is a summary of important things to know about the contest:
- The recipe must include Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats.
- You must submit a video demonstration that is less than 3 minutes.
- Recipes can be sweet or savory but must be created from start to finish within 30 minutes.
- Entries must be submitted by
July 30ththe deadline has been extended to August 7th.
- You must be a US citizen and have a valid US passport.
- Here is a picture of a previous winning entry by Matt Cox.
The first five people to submit a video to the contest and let me know by leaving a comment on this post will receive a bag of gluten-free steel cut oats, a wooden spurtle, and a Bob’s Red Mill Cookbook.
Update: The 5 giveaway winners have been contacted. The first five people who commented below that they had entered the contest are: Bob, Jim, Tila, Merry, and Jenn. Congragulations!