This is an easy, gluten-free, stove-top meal that is usually liked by all. Spanish rice is a nice side by itself, but if you add sausage, it becomes a main dish. Serve it with a garden salad, and it’s a tasty summer meal that doesn’t require the oven.
If you like Spanish rice, you might be interested in trying Lynn’s Mexican Style Quinoa. Personally, I think it’s a great idea, especially if your family is not fond of quinoa, and I hope to try it soon.
- 1 pound sausage (the kind in a tube)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- In a heavy pot, cook the sausage, stirring to crumble.
- Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, then drain all but a couple tablespoons of the grease.
- Add the onion and cook for several minutes until almost transparent.
- Add the rice. Stir and cook for several minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for one minute more.
- Slowly stir in the chicken broth and tomato sauce
- Heat to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sausage.