Last week I bought one of those really big packs of ground beef at BJ’s (I think it was 6 pounds). We had burgers Friday night, and yes, I worked on that burger challenge. But I still had a lot of beef left over. Well, Saturday most of us were sick with a tummy virus and didn’t eat, but by Sunday my husband and kids were ready for a meal.
I was anxious to try the new crock pot I bought, and I still had a bunch of hamburger buns (not gluten free for the rest of the family) since I bought a big pack of those at BJ’s. If I knew we were going to get sick, I would never have bought large quantities of food, but you never know when these things are going to hit. Anyway, I set out to make Sloppy Joes in my slow cooker.
This recipe is based on my Mom’s recipe. It makes a lot so you can cut it in half if you don’t need so much, or freeze some for later use. If you are cooking for a crowd, you might need to double it. You can also adjust the ingredients to your taste.
The bun pictured above is my gluten-free hamburger bun recipe. I like to make a batch and freeze them for gluten-free son and I to use for meals like this. But honestly, my whole family loves those buns, and I make them for everyone when I can.
If you enjoy drinking wine with your meal, check out the wine pairing suggestions to go with this Sloppy Joe recipe at Wine4.Me (a great app to help you find wine you will enjoy based on what you already like).
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- 3 pounds ground beef (I used 85% lean)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar or sweetener of choice (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce (Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or San-J wheat free)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup (I used Wild Harvest organic)
- 1/2 cup water
- In a skillet, saute the ground beef and onion until the meat is browned and the onion is soft. Drain.
- Place all ingredients in your slow cooker and stir to mix well.
- Cook on low setting for 4 - 6 hours.
- Serve with gluten-free hamburger buns. (click for recipe)