Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, and I love the way spiralizing it can really change up the presentation. In this recipe, zoodles (spiralized zucchini noodles) are paired with other veggies for an easy skillet side dish.
If you don’t have a spiralizer, that’s okay. You can simply slice your zucchini and saute it. A spiralizer really isn’t necessary for many dishes that use zoodles, but if they are taking the place of pasta, then having that noodle look really helps.
You can find a variety of spiralizers on Amazon and in stores. If you’re going to use it very much, then I recommend the crank kind rather than the hand held version. Here’s the one I have. I don’t love it, but I do like it, and it gets the job done.
- 2 large zucchini spiralized (about 6-8 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (or additional oil)
- 1 cup yellow onions, julienned (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 large red pepper, seeds removed and julienned
- 2 cups portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced (optional)
- In a large pan over medium high heat, melt butter and heat oil. Add in onions and peppers and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent.
- Add in mushrooms and tomatoes and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until tomatoes soften a little.
- Season with salt and pepper and add in lemon juice (if desired).
- Add zucchini noodles, toss, lower heat to medium, and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until zucchini noodles heat up.