This gluten-free chocolate cake is moist and delicious and great for birthday cakes. The image above shows a single layer made in a rectangular pan, but it can be made in two round pans and layered with icing in between. You could also use it for cupcakes.
The recipe calls for mayonnaise, which may seem a little odd to some of you, but if you keep in mind that mayo is mostly oil and eggs, it’s not so unusual after all. The batter will be somewhat thick and pudding like.
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup hot water (maybe slightly less)
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a medium sized bowl (rice flour through cinnamon).
- In your mixer bowl combine sugar, eggs and extracts. Beat several minutes until light.
- On low speed beat in the mayonnaise.
- Alternate adding the flour mix and water, starting and ending with the flour. Hold back about 2 Tb. of water. The batter should be thick and fluffy. Add the remaining water if needed.
- Spread into two round greased cake pans or one 9 x 13 inch greased pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks.