Years ago I made sausage balls using Bisquick. These are similar except they are dairy free and, of course, gluten free. While they won’t be the most attractive appetizer on the table, these flavorful sausage balls will get gobbled up quickly.
I first made them with almond flour. If you’re looking for a low carb option, it will work, but I didn’t care for the mealy texture it gave the balls. Most of my family didn’t mind the texture, so it’s a personal preference.
If you want to use almond flour, substitute 1 cup of almond flour/meal for the rice flour and tapioca starch.
- 1 pound uncooked bulk breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch/flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Form into balls about 1 1/4 inches in diameter.
- Place on the baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Makes approximately 40 balls.