These roasted candied nuts are really easy to make, and people love them! I have used this recipe with almonds and pecans and both turned out well. These are a tasty treat that make a great gift. I found plastic bags to put them in at the craft store. They should store well as long as they are baked long enough that the coating is thoroughly dry.
The cinnamon in these is subtle. You can try adding more or less to your taste. You could also try making these with an alternative sweetener. I have seen similar recipes that use a sticky sweetener such as honey or agave nectar and do not use the egg white. In that case the sweetener works to hold the salt and cinnamon to the nuts.
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole almonds or pecan halves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl whisk the egg white and vanilla until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and add to the nuts. Stir to coat.
- Spread the nuts in a sprayed jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. Stir after the first half hour and again half an hour later. Nuts should be dry. Stir and bake a little longer if they are still sticky.
- Cool in the pan, and then transfer to a container.