Potato Corn Chowder with Bacon
- 4 ounces bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups milk or milk substitute (I used homemade cashew milk)
- 3 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the bacon into pieces and fry in the bottom of a large heavy pot. When crisp, remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper to the bacon grease in the pot and saute until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and heat to a low boil. Add the diced potatoes and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Use a hand held potato masher to mash up most of the potato chunks. This is not necessary but will help thicken the soup.
- Add the basil and corn and cook for 5 minutes for fresh, a little longer for frozen.
- Stir in the milk, salt and pepper, and heat just until hot but don't boil.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/potato-corn-chowder-with-bacon/