This pecan praline cake is my new favorite dessert. The recipe is another gluten-free version of a recipe from Mennonite Country-Style Recipes. It’s very easy to make and doesn’t need any frosting. I absolutely love the butter, brown sugar and pecans that rest on top of a soft yellow cake.
I’ve tried this cake several times now trying to perfect a way to keep it from sticking to the pan. I haven’t found a perfect solution, but this worked pretty well. This cake will never win a beauty contest anyway, but it could win awards for being delicious.
- 1/4 cup butter or substitute, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 recipe for yellow cake (for the flour mix I used 1 1/4 cup white rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca flour, 3/4 cup potato starch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a 9 x 13 inch cake pan by lining it with foil and greasing or spraying it with non-stick cooking spray. Make sure you grease it well, especially the edges and corners.
- Toast the pecans by putting them (unchopped) on a cookie sheet or cake pan and baking them about 5 –10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn. This step is optional, but it really brings out the flavor in the pecans. Let them cool a little then chop them.
- Melt the butter and combine it with the brown sugar and pecans. Press it onto the bottom of the pan. It will be pretty thin.
- Prepare the yellow cake batter and spread it on top of the nut mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees 35 – 40 minutes.
- Let it cool in the pan about 5 - 10 minutes. If you have any foil wrapped over the edge of the pan, loosen it up, then turn the cake onto a tray or whatever you plan on serving it on. You want the foil and cake to come out of the pan together.
- Carefully remove the foil. Have a spatula handy to scrape stuck on pieces off the foil. You might need to do a little patching around the edges.
Enjoy! It’s delicious.
This recipe is linked to the following food carnivals. The links you will find there are not necessarily gluten free, but some are and others can easily be converted.