Paleo Lemon Bars
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, about 4 lemons (PLEASE don't use the stuff in a bottle. Its not the same!)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon coconut flour, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot or tapioca flour + more for dusting if desired
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the almond flour, coconut flour, and salt. Give it a good whirl to combine. Next, add coconut oil and pulse until it's combined. After that, mix in the honey, egg, and vanilla. It should form a ball in your food processor.
- If you are making the crust ahead of time, simply wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until you are ready to use it. It can be kept in the fridge for up to two days. If not, press the dough into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 inch baking dish and prick with a fork several times. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating, place the crust in the freezer.
- Bake the crust for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- For the filling, juice the lemons until you reach 1/2 cup. Then whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, eggs and egg yolk, coconut flour, and arrowroot or tapioca flour. Pour the filling into the baked crust and place back in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the center is set but slightly jiggly.
- Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes then refrigerate until chilled to finish setting up, about 2 or 3 hours. Dust the top with tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, or powdered sugar.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/paleo-lemon-bars/