Today I’m excited to tell you about a new cookbook: Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes (affiliate link), by Elana Amsterdam and published by Ten Speed Press. (The book will be released tomorrow but is available for pre-order today.) I also have a giveaway of the cookbook and a paleo bread recipe from the book to share with you below.
I have been gluten free for over 12 years, dairy free for 2 1/2 years, and grain free for 10 months. I still feel very new at grain free cooking, but especially grain-free baking which I have done very little of.
So I was thrilled to get a copy of Elana’s new book. She has been cooking paleo for years and sharing many of her recipes on her blog Elana’s Pantry. The cookbook is nicely done and includes many beautiful photos.
If you’re not familiar with paleo cooking, Elana explains it and goes over the basics of a paleo pantry. There is a nice assortment of recipes including breakfast, dinner, desserts, beverages, and more. I was particularly interested in recipes such as bagels, coffee cake, and bread, but there are plenty of other types of recipes such as entrées, sauces, and ice cream.
If you are interested in owning this cookbook, Ten Speed Press is giving away one copy to one of my readers.
- This giveaway is limited to U.S. and Canadian residents 18 and older.
- One entry per person
- Enter by leaving a comment on this post telling me why this cookbook interests you.
- The giveaway begins June 17, 2013 and ends on June 21, 2013 at 11:00 pm eastern time.
No purchase is necessary. Odds of winning are based on the number of entries. The winners will be randomly chosen and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 24 hours to respond. If the winner does not respond, a new winner will be randomly chosen.
Disclaimer: I was provided with a free copy of the cookbook, but was not paid to write this review. The opinions in this post are my own.
Paleo Bread Recipe
I’m happy to share with you Elana’s paleo bread recipe. It’s perfect for times when you really want a slice of bread but without gluten, dairy, or any grains! I’ve made this recipe, and it turns out beautifully. I only had an 8 x 4 inch pan, but it worked fine. I simply cooked it for the shorter amount of time.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup golden flax meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted over very low heat
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 7 by 3-inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a food processor, pulse together the almond flour, flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, coconut oil, honey, and vinegar and pulse until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 1 hour, then serve.
- Makes 1 loaf (about 12 slices)
Reprinted with permission from Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes by Elana Amsterdam (Ten Speed Press, 2013). Photo Credit: Leigh Beisch.