We don’t eat beans too often around here, but chili is one way we like to eat them. We also don’t like real spicy food, so this recipe is not hot. Saturday was cold and rainy here. I served this chili along with gluten free cornbread, and it simply hit the spot.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can small red beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tb. tomato paste
- 1/2 Tb. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Sauté the meat and onion in a skillet until the meat is done.
- Add the garlic and sauté a couple of minutes more.
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot and simmer about 30 minutes. You can leave it uncovered if you want some liquid to evaporate.
- You can also cook this in a slow cooker on high for 3 hours or low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Spoon into serving bowls and top with cheese if desired.