I’m a few days late, but this is my entry for this month’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free which is being hosted at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free, and has a theme of guiltless pleasures. These muffins fit the bill for me. I just enjoy muffins. They are a nice size and they are good for breakfast or snacking. I made these guiltless by including whole grains, nuts, and carrots.
These muffins will also be my submission next week for my monthly challenge which is to create a gluten free muffin.
Buckwheat flour in these muffins give them a hearty whole grain flavor. I love it combined with the carrot and walnuts. These are not moist muffins, but neither are they overly dry. Muffins by nature are on the dry side, like a cake that you eat with ice cream. You can spread these with a little butter or jam if you like. You could also try adding some applesauce to the recipe, but I like them the way they are.
The list of ingredients is rather long, partly because it uses five different flours/starches. If you don’t have all the flours used, try substituting what you do have. Just substitute a whole grain for a whole grain and a starch for a starch.
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Using a whisk, combine the flours, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt, gelatin, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla, and oil.
- Add to the dry ingredients and whisk together until everything is wet.
- Stir in the carrots and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into a muffin tin and bake at 375 degrees for 18- 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cool.