If you’re looking for ways to help your family enjoy quinoa, this Mexican Quinoa and Beef is a great option. If quinoa is strange to them, the Mexican flavors will help make it taste familiar.
Ground beef or turkey can be used (I used half and half), and combined with the quinoa and other ingredients, it makes a delicious main dish that only needs some vegetables or salad to go along with it. You also might consider serving this as a taco filling or inside a lettuce wrap.
Mexican Quinoa and Beef (Slow Cooker)
- 2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- sliced green onions
- sour cream
- Saute the ground beef, onions and bell pepper until the beef is no longer pink and the onion and pepper is soft. Add the minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Drain.
- Place all ingredients except the lime juice in a greased slow cooker and gently stir to combine. Cover and cook on high 3 - 4 hours. Since slow cookers vary, keep an eye on it after about 2 hours. You don't want it to dry out.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve with toppings if desired.
Bell pepper - any color will do.Quinoa - I am partial to red, but black or tan would work too. Tan seems to get a little mushy though.You can use a gluten-free store bought taco seasoning. Whatever you use, adjust to your tastes.
Courses Main Dish