I love this slow cooker meatloaf and potatoes recipe and use it often. Meatloaf can easily be made gluten-free, and if you combine it with potatoes in a slow cooker, then most of the meal cooks at one time. This meatloaf recipe can also be baked in the oven. Take a look at my meatloaf tips and tricks to learn how I cut the baking time.
Since the potatoes are placed on the bottom of the crock, they cook in the meatloaf juice. Choose a lower lean beef so the potatoes don’t absorb too much fat. I’m not a fan of 90% lean ground beef because I think it lacks flavor. 80-85% lean is my choice for this dish.
I use gluten-free instant potato flakes in this recipe because it’s easier than using bread crumbs, but if you have gluten-free bread crumbs you want to use, then go right ahead.
Meatloaf and Potatoes (Slow Cooker)
Yield 6 - 8
- 6 – 8 medium red or gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup gluten-free instant potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Peel or scrub the potatoes and cut them into one inch size chunks.
- Place the potatoes in the bottom of a greased slow cooker and add the water.
- Combine all the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. I use my stand mixer on low speed to combine everything.
- Place the meatloaf on top of the potatoes and shape into an oval (or whatever shape your slow cooker is) so it mostly covers the potatoes.
- Combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and spread it evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours or until the meatloaf and potatoes are both cooked through.