Since Jared (gluten-free son) is cutting carbs along with me (though not because he needs to lose weight), he was disappointed when I recently made mashed potatoes. He loves mashed potatoes and used to eat a huge pile of them. Seriously. Unless you have a teenage boy, you can’t imagine how many potatoes he could eat.
But then I told him that it wasn’t mashed potatoes at all. It was mashed cauliflower. My husband happens to really like cauliflower, but I don’t serve it very often. So this dish was a hit all around.
I don’t think they would want to eat it several times a week, but no one missed the potatoes. And if you are a cheese eater, try searching for other mashed cauliflower recipes. Many of them use cream cheese.
This recipe is easy to make—just like mashed potatoes, but you don’t have to do any peeling.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 Tablespoons clarified butter, regular butter, or substitute
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- Wash and cut the cauliflower.
- Steam it until all parts are tender. Drain.
- Add milk, butter, salt, and garlic and mash with an electric hand mixer.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.