Lemon Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks margarine or butter (3/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup lemon curd
- Cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the flours, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, beating with the mixer on low until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Cover and chill the dough 1 hour.
- If you are making lemon curd from scratch, you can do that while the dough is chilling. After the curd has thickened, remove from heat and pour it into a stainless steel pan or bowl and set it on a wire rack to cool, stirring occasionally. The curd should not be hot when you put it in the cookies, but it’s okay if it’s still warm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Use non stick cookie sheets, or sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Roll the dough into small ball and place them about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Press your thumb into the center of each ball making a deep impression.
- Place some lemon curd in a zip top plastic bag that has a small bit of the corner cut off. Carefully squeeze the bag to fill the center of each cookie with lemon curd.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to brown slightly. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/lemon-thumbprint-cookies/