This Italian Sausage with Quinoa and Broccoli is very similar to my Italian Sausage and Pasta recipe. Both recipes include broccoli and are a one-dish, stove-top meal that is perfect for summer.
If you don’t eat grains, but do eat quinoa, which is technically a seed and often called a pseudo-grain, then this recipe is a great option for you. Quinoa contains protein and vitamins, though it still has a fair amount of carbs. I like cooking the quinoa in chicken broth for added flavor, but water could be used.
If you have zucchini from your garden to use up, try substituting it for the broccoli. Any gluten-free large link sausage you like could be used here. Be sure to read the label to determine if it is gluten free. I like Harvestland Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage and Applegate Organic Sweet Italian Sausage (made from chicken and turkey).
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound gluten-free Sweet Italian Sausages
- 1 pound fresh broccoli crowns
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- salt to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions using the chicken broth in place of water.
- Cook the Italian sausages in a skillet or on the grill until done in the center. Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Wash, cut and steam the broccoli until just tender.
- Add the basil, parsley, and salt to the cooked quinoa and toss to combine.
- Put the cut sausage and broccoli into a large bowl. Add the quinoa and toss to combine.