The slow cooker is a great way to cook pot roast, and this Italian pot roast recipe, which includes tomatoes and Italian seasoning, is a nice twist on the classic dish.
Since I use a 6 quart slow cooker, I purchase a large roast from BJs (close to 4 pounds) and get two meals out of this. The first night I serve the roast with the tomatoes and onions strained out and only a little liquid over the beef to help keep it moist.
When dinner is over, I trim the meat and cut it into smaller pieces and save it along with the remaining tomatoes and onions and all the liquid. Once the liquid has chilled, the fat can be removed and everything else goes into a pot of soup the next night.
I usually cook the soup in my pressure cooker which makes the meat super tender. You can add more water or broth if needed and any veggies you like. You can even add leftover rice if you make plenty the first night.
Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 1/2 – 4 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Put the diced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the roast on top and sprinkle the minced garlic over the roast.
- In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes with juice, tomato past, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Pour over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low 6 – 8 hours or high about 4 hours.