This Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage is easy to make and has all the flavors of stuffed cabbage rolls. If you don’t have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, this can also be made on the stove top.
In fact, it’s not much faster in the Instant Pot simply because the pot is very full and takes a while to come to pressure. But I like the fact that I can start the pot and walk away from it until it beeps without worrying about stirring or controlling the temperature.
This recipe makes 6 to 8 servings, so feel free to cut it in half. However, I like having plenty leftover for lunches. Extras could also be frozen for later.
I made this recipe grain-free because that’s how I eat, but stuffed cabbage often contains rice. Feel free to stir in some cooked rice at the end (after cooking).
Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage
Yield 6 - 8 servings
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey (I used 1 pound of each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium head green cabbage, chopped (about 12 cups)
- In a large skillet, saute the ground beef and onion until the meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and saute about one more minute. Drain.
- Place the beef mixture in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place the copped cabbage on top, but be sure not to overfill the pot. Leave some out if it reaches the max line.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 minutes then quick release. Stir and serve.
- Follow instructions above but place ingredients in a large pot on the stove. Cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.