How to Cook Steak
- High heat oil (I used bacon fat)
- Salt & pepper, other seasoning if desired
- Heavy skillet (preferably cast iron or other oven safe skillet)
- Hot oven or grill, about 450°
- Heavy oven mitts
- Meat thermometer
- Preheat your oven or grill.
- Brush both sides of the steaks with plenty of oil.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Heat the skillet until it is hot and a drop of water sizzles and evaporates.
- Add the steaks to the hot skillet and cook for 2 minutes on each side, keeping the skillet hot. Use the tongs to turn the steaks.
- Transfer the skillet to the hot oven or grill. If you do not have an oven safe skillet, you can move the steaks to an oven safe metal pan such as a cookie sheet.
- Bake about 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of your steaks and how well done you want them to be.
- Use an instant read thermometer to determine doneness and remove from heat when the temperature is 5° below your desired temperature. The meat will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven.
- When desired temperature is reached, remove the steaks to a plate and cover it with foil. Let the steaks sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/how-to-cook-steak/