Since hot cross buns are a traditional Easter food, I thought I would try making them gluten and dairy free. I got in the mood for them earlier this week when I saw this vegan, refined sugar free and gluten free version from Without Adornment.
These buns are best when warm. If you have any left over the next day, just heat them a little in the microwave. My family really enjoyed them, and I bet you will too.
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoon Earth Balance Buttery Sticks or butter
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup warm water (105° - 115°)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup raisins and/or dried cranberries
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tablespoons almond milk, regular milk or other milk substitute
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In your mixer bowl, beat together the eggs, butter, and vinegar for 3 minutes on medium high speed.
- Add the water and dry ingredients. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins and/or dried cranberries.
- Spoon the dough into the pan to make 12 rounded rolls. You can smooth the rolls by dipping a large metal spoon into cold water then rubbing the back of the spoon over the top of the roll. Dip the spoon into the cold water between smoothing each roll.
- Cover the pan with a piece of plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. I put mine in a warm oven for 20 minutes, then put the pan on top of the stove for 10 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Bake at 375° for 25 – 30 minutes until browned on top. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool until no longer hot, but still warm.
- Combine the powdered sugar and milk, adding just enough milk to make the glaze moist. Put the glaze in a zip lock bag with 1/4 inch of the corner cut off and squeeze it onto the buns in a cross shape.
- Serve warm. Reheat cold buns in the microwave until warm and soft.