This Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream requires only a few ingredients and a few minutes. My son says it tastes just like good store-bought ice cream. And the great thing is that you control the ingredients so it contains no gum, which causes digestive upset for some, and you can choose organic milk ingredients if you want.
Since my son went gum-free, I have looked at the ingredients on every ice cream brand I come across, and I have not yet found one that does not contain gum. But that’s okay because it is super easy to make my own! This recipe is so simple and basic that I have not posted it before, but it’s my go-to recipe for vanilla ice cream, which of course can be dressed up with add-ins or toppings.
Now, this recipe is full of dairy, fat, and sugar, so I’m not saying that it’s healthy. It’s a treat for sure, but one that my family enjoys. (I don’t personally eat it because I strictly avoid dairy.)
This recipe does require an ice cream maker, which I think is totally worth the money. After churning in the machine, the ice cream will be very soft. If you want a firmer, scoopable ice cream, you need to freeze it overnight. I love the fact that it holds its shape but is not difficult to scoop out after freezing.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir all the ingredients together for several minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved. If you stop stirring for a few seconds any undissolved sugar will fall to the bottom and can be felt with your spoon. Keep stirring until you no longer feel any sugar granules.
- Add to your ice cream maker, following the machine instructions. I run mine for 20 - 25 minutes.
- When done, transfer to a container and freeze overnight or serve soft.