I have been making lots of snack bars these days because both my husband and son are eating them up. These energy bars are super easy to make and are similar to Lärabars. (In case you missed them, my last recipe for Lemon Blueberry Snack Bars was similar to Pamela’s Whenever Bars.)
The main ingredients in these energy bars are nuts and dates. The other ingredients add variety and flavor. Even the nuts can be varied, so there is a wide range of possibilities. If you need inspiration, take a look at different Lärabar flavors and see if you can come up with something similar. You can view some of them on Amazon.
The dates in these bars provide quite a bit of natural sugar, and I find that I don’t usually need a whole bar to give me an energy boost. I think they’re perfect cut into little squares and can be served with toothpicks alongside other appetizers to help hold people over to meal time.
Homemade Energy Bars (Larabar Copycat)
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 cup dates, pits removed
- 1 cup dried fruit, chocolate chips, or coconut* (any combination)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or other spice, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or other extract (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds. Pinch the mixture to see if it holds together. If not, add a teaspoon of water and process. Pinch again and repeat if necessary until the mixture holds together.
- Line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting it go up the sides of the pan. Press the fruit and nut mix into the pan firmly and evenly.
- Chill thoroughly, then lift the parchment paper out of the pan. Slice into bars. Store in a cool place.
*If using unsweetened shredded coconut, use a little less because it is so fine that it fills the cup very compactly.