I don’t make sauces or gravies very often, but with Thanksgiving and other holidays just around the corner I thought some of you might be interested in a gluten-free homemade cheese sauce recipe.
I made this the other night to put on cauliflower. I’m not a big fan of cauliflower, but I bought a head of it a couple of weeks ago with some recipe in mind. I then forgot where I saw the recipe and the cauliflower just sat in my refrigerator. The other day my husband said, “I keep seeing that cauliflower in the frig, but it never shows up on my plate. Why don’t you just cook it and serve it with cheese sauce.” So that is what I did.
This sauce uses sweet rice flour. If you don’t have any you can use rice flour or even corn starch. Sweet rice flour is worth having around, though. You don’t need a lot, but it’s great for thickening sauces, gravies, and soups.
Homemade Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon sweet rice flour (or rice flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces or 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the milk and flour.
- Add the butter and salt and heat on medium-high heat, whisking frequently until the sauce starts to boil and thickens a little.
- Reduce heat and stir in the cheese. You can add more cheese if you desire.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.