Last evening I had a chub of turkey ham to use. (It really is called a chub.) I decided potatoes would go well with it, and I put to use my create a casserole ideas. The result was pretty good but not great in my opinion. I wasn’t going to use it for this post until son #2, who is a real foodie, came home from karate and ate his dinner. He thought it was great!
I might like it better with a different sauce, but this was quick and easy. I was running very late with fixing dinner, but if I had more time I would have added some sauteed onions and maybe mushrooms. Now don’t get the wrong impression. I liked it; I just think it could be better. If I altered it to my tastes, however, my son might not be so thrilled with it.
- 6 cups peeled & shredded raw potato
- 4 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1/4 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Peel the potatoes and shred them in a food processor or grate them by hand. They will quickly turn brown. You can keep that from happening by putting them in a bowl and adding about 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar to enough water to cover the potatoes. Swish them around a bit and then drain.
- Mix the potatoes and ham together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the salad dressing, yogurt, and mayonnaise. Add this to the potatoes and ham and stir well to coat.
- Put it all into a greased rectangular baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, cover the dish with foil and cook another 15 minutes.
- Check the potatoes for doneness, sprinkle the cheese over top and return the dish to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.