The other day I wanted to make a breakfast muffin with more protein than the usual fruity muffins I make. I chose ground ham and grated cheese as my protein sources and thought that corn bread would go well with it. The ham gave the muffins plenty of flavor, but you could certainly add some herbs or onion powder. These were not real cheesy since I have one kid who doesn’t like cheesy. These are a great breakfast or snack muffin. They are a little on the dry side as corn muffins tend to be. Spreading a little bit of butter on them helps a lot.
Ham & Cheese Corn Muffins
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (I used Carol Fenster’s sorghum blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (optional)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup ground or chopped ham (or use bacon)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the corn meal, flour mix, salt, xanthan gum, baking powder, gelatin, and sugar.
- Stir in the ham and cheese.
- In a smaller bowl or glass measuring cup combine the oil, eggs, and milk.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to remove most of the lumps.
- Spoon into a muffin tin that has been sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for about 18 minutes.