Except for my picky eater who has been digressing in his like of vegetables, we all enjoy zucchini. In the summer when my zucchini plants are producing, we don’t mind eating it every other evening for dinner.
We love it sautéed with onions and dill (a recipe I need to post), and zucchini with walnuts is also great.
I’ve been working on getting better at grilling vegetables. I haven’t had great success in that area, but I am learning. One problem I have is that the vegetables fall through the grate. I bought a grill tray to help with that, and it does make a difference.
I used the tray when I cooked this zucchini, but as you can see, using a tray doesn’t give you those classic grill marks. We didn’t mind. This zucchini tasted great!
Well, I should clarify. As I was eating, bite after bite, thinking, “Wow! This has great flavor!” my husband says, “This isn’t my favorite way to eat zucchini.” Well, my husband is probably the second pickiest eater in the family. He loves lemon in desserts, but for some reason didn’t like it on the zucchini. The lemon flavor definitely come out in this recipe.
However, my youngest son expressed what I was thinking—that the zucchini was full of flavor. My pickiest son was holding back and not eating it. Unlike me, he eats what he likes best first, and saves his least favorite for last. I told him not to listen to his dad.
Finally, he took a bite and said, “That’s actually pretty good,” and that was after expressing that he didn’t like zucchini.
My oldest wasn’t home for dinner. He had some of the leftovers and said it was good. That’s what he says about most food.
- about 4 medium sized zucchini
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash the zucchini and trim the ends. Cut in half if they are long, then cut lengthwise into approximately 1/2 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and carefully stir the zucchini so it is coated.
- Transfer the zucchini the a grill tray or place them directly on the grill rack.
- Fish any remaining garlic and basil out of the bowl and put it on top of the zucchini slices.
- Grill about 2 – 3 minutes on each side, using tongs to turn the slices.