This recipe came to me years ago through a friend at church. I’ve made only a few small changes. My family enjoys this dish, and it is one of the few ways they will eat cooked spinach. Don’t be afraid to play around with the ingredient amounts in this recipe. You can make it beefier or add more spinach. Make it cheesier, or add more mushrooms. You get the idea. You can also use fresh spinach instead of the frozen (probably one bag).
I did not have any mushrooms when I made this the last time, and it is good without them. My husband would say it is much better without them! I included them in the recipe, though, because if you like mushrooms, they are a very nice addition.
The tater tots are completely optional, and I have often made this without them. The kids really like tater tots and it does make it a nice all-in-one dish. Many brands of tater tots are gluten-free but not all. Be sure to read the labels.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 box frozen spinach
- 1 recipe cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 – 12 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds mini tater tots (optional)*
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook and drain the spinach. Make sure you get most of the water out by pressing it against the side of a colander.
- Cook the ground beef and drain.
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms.
- Make the cream of mushroom soup. After it has thickened, add 1/4 cup water and whisk to combine.
- Combine the beef, onion, mushrooms, and spinach. I use the skillet I cooked the beef in (after draining it). The spinach will be somewhat stuck together after squeezing the water out. Break it up with your spoon or spatula and get it mixed in with the other ingredients.
- Add the soup and cheese. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the cheese if you are not using tater tots.
- Spread the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Top with tater tots or the additional cheese.
- If using cheese on top, bake at 350° for 20 – 30 minutes until hot and the cheese is melted. If using tater tots, bake at 375° 30 – 40 minutes until the tater tots are hot in the middle.