What is Gluten Free?
Simply put, gluten free means no wheat, rye, barley, and most oats. Gluten is a protein, and the gluten-free diet refers to a diet without the specific gluten proteins that are found in wheat, rye, and barley. You can read more in my post What is Gluten?
Most oats, unless they are specially grown, are contaminated with gluten. Some people on a gluten-free diet cannot tolerate even the specially grown gluten-free oats.
How to Be Gluten Free
How To Be Gluten Free: 10 Steps to a Gluten-Free Life is an eBook that I wrote to help people get started with the gluten-free diet. This easy to read book will teach you the basics of what you need to know and help you live a happy, healthy gluten-free life. Don’t have a Kindle? Use Amazon’s free reading apps to read the book on your computer, tablet or smartphone. (The two previous links are Amazon affiliate links.)
If you are looking for information about the gluten-free diet or how to get started with eating gluten free, the following links to posts on this site should be helpful to you. You might also find my Celiac Disease Information page and How to Go Gluten Free Advice from Bloggers page useful.
- Reading Labels to Determine if a Food Contains Gluten
- 10 Surprising Foods That Contain Gluten
- 9 Places to Buy Gluten-Free Food
- Do I Need to Buy Gluten-Free Skin Care Products?
- Gluten-Free Frugality
- More on Gluten-Free Cheerios
Kitchen and Cooking
- Can Gluten in the Air Harm You?
- Frugal Lunch and Dinner Ideas
- Tips for Managing Gluten in Your Kitchen
- What is the Best Gluten-Free Bread Machine?
- What to Eat During a Power Outage
- 5 Favorite Gluten-Free Flours
- Gluten-Free Flour Mixes
- Milling Your Own Gluten-Free Flour
- Are Blue Cheeses Gluten Free?
- Is Natural Flavoring Gluten Free?
- Best Gluten-Free Pasta
- What Coconut Oil I Use and Why
- Gluten-Free Lunch Ideas
- Cooking With Your Gluten-Free Kids
- Gluten-Free Birthday Cupcake Drama
- Gluten-Free Kids and Friendships
- Gluten-Free Kids and the Holidays
- Gluten-Free Snacks on the Go
- Moving with Our Gluten-Free Kids
- When Your Gluten-Free Kid is Invited to a Party
- When Your Gluten-Free Kid Cheats
- 5 Reasons I’m Glad to Be Gluten Free
- Getting Family on Board with Your Gluten-Free Diet
- Is it okay to cheat on the gluten-free diet?
- Gluten-Free and Weight Loss
- Gluten-Free Medications
- 10 Cookout Foods That are Often Gluten Free
- Summer Cookout Tips and Recipes
- Gluten-Free Turkey and Preparing for Thanksgiving
- 15 Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes
- 10 Gluten-Free Holiday Tips
- Healthy Gluten-Free Holiday Tips