I’m republishing this recipe for gluten-free cream of chicken soup (or mushroom) because it is so easy to make and can be used in a variety of recipes.
Making the soup from scratch does take a little more time than opening a can, but it cooks quickly and is healthier. Once you get used to making it, you won’t mind at all. This recipe makes a thick, condensed soup that needs to be thinned for most recipes.
Try it in these recipes:
Cream Soups Recipe
- 1 cup cold milk (or milk substitute)
- 3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour or white rice flour or 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 Tablespoon butter, margarine, or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or 1 bouillon cube (be sure it's gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste depending on how the soup will be used and how salty your bouillon is)
- pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan, whisk together the milk and sweet rice flour or cornstarch.
- Add the remaining ingredients and heat to a boil while whisking frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer about a minute until thickened.
- Use this soup in recipes in place of one can of creamed soup.
Variations: Add 1/2 cup chopped chicken, cooked or canned mushrooms, or cooked celery.You could also make this less creamy and more gravy like by using chicken or mushroom broth in place of the milk and omitting the bouillon.