I promised you I would have a couple of my own casserole creations to inspire you for this month’s Create a Casserole Challenge. This one was quick to make using leftovers, and resulted in a delightful tasting dish.
It does not use cream soup or cheese, but it does contain Ranch dressing which means it is not dairy free. However, if you cook dairy free, I’m sure you can find an enjoyable substitute.
If you like exact measurements, you are out of luck with this one, but trust me, you can do it.
Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Leftover cooked chicken, cut in bite size pieces
- Leftover cooked rice, quinoa or other grain (I had a mix of white rice, red quinoa, and millet)
- Italian dressing
- Ranch Dressing
- Gluten free cracker crumbs or corn flake crumbs
- Pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a rectangular baking dish.
- Spread your leftover rice on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle it with a little Italian dressing.
- Put the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle on some more Italian dressing. Squirt some ranch dressing over that.
- Top with crushed gluten-free crackers or cereal and pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until hot through.
Casseroles without a thick soup or cheese in the middle do not hold together as well, but that’s okay. It’s still good food.