It can be difficult to find a gluten-free brand of enchilada sauce, but making your own is quite easy and allows you to control the spiciness. You can then use it to make enchiladas using corn tortillas. The filling is really up to you, but I have shared easy beef enchiladas and easy chicken enchiladas.
If you are dairy free, try a cheese substitute in your enchiladas, such as Daiya, or simply leave it out.
- 1-2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or other cooking oil
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chili powder. Heat and stir for one minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and heat to boiling.
- Add the garlic powder and onion powder.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water.
- Slowly add the water to the boiling mixture, whisking continually to avoid lumps.
- Heat to a boil and simmer for several minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, taste, and add salt as needed.
- Makes 2 1/4 cups