Rice Casserole with Bacon and Spinach
- 1½ cups brown rice (white rice should work too)
- chicken broth for cooking rice (optional)
- 12 ounces bacon
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup gluten-free cracker or bread crumbs
- Cook the rice according to package instructions using chicken broth in place of the water, if desired.
- Cook the bacon, drain, and cut into bite size pieces.
- Sauté the onion in the oil or butter until tender.
- Add the garlic to the skillet. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach to the onion and garlic. Sauté just until wilted.
- Combine the rice, bacon, onion mixture, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and eggs, beating the eggs with a fork until they are combined with milk.
- Add the milk mixture to the rice mixture. Stir well.
- Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the cracker or bread crumbs on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/rice-casserole-with-bacon-and-spinach/