Zucchini Pizza Crust
Author: Lauren Goslin
Recipe type: Pizza
- 2 cups zucchini, finely grated, lightly packed
- ½-3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, (vegans, use a chickpea egg: 4 Tablespoons chickpea flour + 4 Tablespoons water)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil (or another high smoke point oil such as walnut or coconut)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (you don’t need much because the zucchini will retain some)
- Place the grated zucchini in a strainer.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with some salt, toss it to disperse.
- Place the strainer over a large bowl, and let the zucchini drain for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the grated zucchini into a dry dish towel, and wring the towel over the sink until the water from the zucchini is squeezed out.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add almond meal as needed to make a dough (not too wet, not too dry).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the zucchini mix out into an oval shape. I use a fork to do this, and I press it down to compact it as well.
- Place the pan on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then place the pan on the top rack of the oven for about 8 minutes, until browned.
- Remove the pan and flip the crust.
- Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the crust.
- Turn the oven up to 500 degrees.
- Top the pizza with sauce or pesto, cheese, vegetables....whatever floats your pizza boat!
- Place the pan back into the oven on the bottom rack and bake for 3-4 minutes. Again, place the pan on the top rack for about 2 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes to let everything set.
The nutrition facts is based on 1 cup of almond meal and 1 chicken egg. Weight Watchers points (new system): 6
Calories: 223 Fat: 17.8 g Saturated fat: 1.7 g Unsaturated fat: 16.1 g Carbohydrates: 10.4 g Sugar: 2.7 g Sodium: 223 mg Fiber: 5.2 g Protein: 9.7 g Cholesterol: 55 mg
Recipe by Gluten-Free Homemaker at https://glutenfreehomemaker.com/zucchini-pizza-crust/