Chicken divan has always been a favorite of mine. You can find many different recipes that vary in difficulty, but this is an easy one. It’s not as easy as it was when I could just open a can of cream of chicken soup, but it is still easy.
I have memorized the cream soup recipe and can have it made pretty quickly. I’m a fairly impatient person so I dislike recipes that tell you to use low heat. I hate standing over the stove stirring and stirring something while it takes forever to heat up. My solution is to use medium-high heat and watch it carefully. That’s what I do with the cream soup recipe.
I added some bacon pieces when I made this the other night simply because I had it on hand and thought it would be interesting. Bacon is not traditionally a part of chicken divan. It didn’t add as much flavor as I thought it would, so I’m going to leave it out of the recipe, but I do like the color it added.
As a side dish I made 1 c. rice and 1/2 c. red quinoa cooked together in water that had a little chicken bouillon.
Easy Chicken Divan
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken pieces
- 4 cups steamed broccoli
- 1 recipe cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place the chicken and broccoli in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Add salt and pepper to the cream of chicken soup.
- Thin the soup with milk. (Add enough milk that it can be poured over the entire dish.)
- Pour or spoon the soup evenly over the chicken and broccoli.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or until hot through.