Chicken, broccoli, cheese, and a creamy sauce – what’s not to love about chicken or turkey divan? If you make it when you have leftover cooked chicken or turkey, it’s an easy meal to put together.
Of course, the big issue with this dish is making sure that creamy sauce is gluten free. My mom always used cream of chicken soup, but most brands contain gluten (as well as other unwanted ingredients). Making your own creamy soup is easy, though. You can find a recipe here and linked to in the recipe below.
Are you dairy free? No problem, you can still make this recipe work for you. The cream soup recipe can easily be made with almond milk (or other milk substitute) and oil rather than butter. This casserole is topped with shredded cheese, but you can use a cheese substitute or omit the cheese. You might like to add some other kind of topping such a gluten-free bread crumbs mixed with a little oil.
Because this recipe is great with chicken or turkey, it’s a great way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Easy Chicken or Turkey Divan
- 2 - 3 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cut in bite size pieces
- 4 cups broccoli pieces
- 1 recipe cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup milk or milk substitute
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Steam the broccoli until tender but crisp.
- Place the chicken and broccoli mixed together in the casserole dish.
- Prepare the cream of chicken soup recipe as directed. Thin the soup with additional 1/3 cup milk.
- Spoon the soup evenly over the chicken and broccoli and top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot through.