Not too long ago I decided to make dessert one evening. I had a homemade yellow cake mix which was just the dry ingredients for my gluten-free yellow cake. I didn’t want to make a plain yellow cake, but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with it.
I turned to my Facebook page and Twitter. The people there are always to helpful and full of ideas. I asked them for their favorite way to dress up a yellow cake mix, and from the ideas that were given I settled on a dump cake.
It was good. Really good. And it hit the spot. The whole family enjoyed it.
I imagine this would work with any yellow cake mix or recipe, but I haven’t tried it with any others so experiment at your own risk.
- 1 gluten-free yellow or white cake mix or homemade cake mix below
Homemade Cake Mix
- 2 1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
Additional Ingredients Needed
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 can (20 ounces) sliced peaches, with juice
- 1 1/2 sticks butter or substitute
- whipped cream or 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix ingredients, if making from scratch. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Dump in the pineapple.
- Cut the peaches into chunks and dump them in too. Don’t forget the juice from both cans. Spread the fruit evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Dump the cake mix (or above combined ingredients) on top of the fruit and spread it out evenly.
- Cut the butter into chunks and place it on top of the cake mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees 30 – 40 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- For dairy free whipped cream, skim the fat from a can of chilled coconut milk and whip it (the fat, not the milk) with a whisk attachment on a hand mixer until it’s the consistency of whipped cream.
- Spoon the dump cake into serving dishes, add a little whipped cream, and enjoy!